9.10.2004

the big tub

Today I took Cole for a Baby & Me class at the rec center pool. Cole has always loved bath time, so I felt pretty confident that he would like the big tub. It's a good thing I was right because this was the first of eight sessions, and it could've been a long 2 months.

The pool is set up kind of like a beach. No stairs or ladder, just a slope so you can slowly walk into the water. Cole started kicking and splashing as soon as he felt the water reach his feet. We sang songs as we moved the kids through the water and Cole enjoyed the half-hour class. When I laid him on his back and supported him he just lounged and smiled. The only time he was uneasy was when I had trouble repositioning him and he got some water in his nose. He was quickly consoled and ready to play again almost immediately.

The tough part for me was being in 4 1/2 feet deep water which only leaves a bit of my shoulders above the water. It meant I was holding Cole at my face level which is why I goofed and got his face wet at one point. The taller moms had a much easier time. The next challenge was changing Cole out of his swim gear, drying him off, dressing him in a dry diaper and clothes while I'm still dripping wet. It took me so long that I was able to drip dry and then I kept one hand on him while he was laying on the towel-covered bench while I pulled my pants on over my swimsuit. I waited until I got to the car and had him settled in his carseat before I ran a comb through my hair. One good thing about having such a cute kid is that I can look like a total trainwreck and no one will notice.

No comments: