9.12.2006

Making progress

Quick update: I'm currently at 37 weeks, 2 cm dilated, and 70% effaced. This is new for me because I didn't dilate at all with Cole until I was in active labor. I'm trying not to get too excited because I've heard the stories of women walking around at 3+ for weeks, but it is progress. I finished packing our bags this weekend.

Back in July during a week of 100 degree temperatures, a friend asked if I had reached the uncomfortable stage. I replied that I thought that I had. Now I realize there's a second uncomfortable stage...one where I make other people uncomfortable. 2 weekends ago, we went out for lunch and then to the grocery store. Upon entering the store, a clerk offering soup samples greeted me with "Whoa!", and then ran over to ask me when I was due and what I was having. He was nice about and wished me luck, but it was more attention than I would have liked. People openly stared while we shopped and in case you think I'm paranoid, Tony noticed it too. While looking for a check-out line, a young mom with a 3-6 month old in a car seat carrier, announced loudly, "I didn't stick out that bad when I was pregnant." Yeah, thanks for sharing.

I don't know if people are afraid I'm going to go into labor within seconds or where the fear comes from, but there's no reason for the rudeness.

No comments: