12.01.2003

visits, baptism, Cole's first cold, and turkey day

Life has been a bit hectic here in Virginia, but the dust is beginning to settle once more. Cole handled his adoring public very well. He cried and cooed and ate and slept and peed and pooped just enough to prove that we're capable, if not perfect, parents. As exciting as it was to show the little guy off, it's been nice to get back to "normal" life and our own pace.

During all the excitement, Cole was baptized along with 6 other babies at our church. For the morning, I planned a feeding frenzy in hopes of putting Cole in a "milk coma." My plan worked perfectly. He was an angel during brunch, letting me eat my entire meal. He was the first baby to cry at the baptism, but he was quickly consoled. Of course he cried during the holy soaking, but who could blame him. The deacon was especially generous with the water.

Sunday night, angel baby turned into a miserable, sniffling bundle. He caught his daddy's cold, and lacking the ability to blow his nose, the congestion built up quickly. Poor Cole would cough so violently, he would wake himself up. To complicate matters, at this point in his young life, he is mainly a nose breather, and with that option gone, he was struggling to adjust to breathing through his mouth. It was a rough night. I held him so he could sleep upright most of the night and called the pediatrician in the morning.

The pediatrician confirmed Cole's head cold and suggested using saline nose drops and a gentler aspirator than the one provided by the hospital. I was already running a humidifier in the house for everyone's benefit because our heat is very dry. CVS didn't carry the Little Noses Brand drops and aspirator, but I did find the kit at Babies R Us. They were worth the effort. They've really been helping Cole break up the congestion, and I'm getting better with the aspirator. For some odd reason, sometimes Cole enjoys the aspirator...maybe it tickles.


Last Tuesday (11/25) I had my 6-week postpartum check up. Ironically, one year ago, the same exact date, I had my first ob/gyn appt. Expecting my 8 week ultrasound, I learned instead that I had miscarried my first pregnancy. My heart was shattered. Thanksgiving was spent in VA instead of visiting family for the first time, and I had a D&C the following week. I never would've imagined that one year later, Tony and I would again spend turkey day in VA, but this time with a beautiful baby boy. There was so much to be thankful for this year. And while thoughts of that lost child will always be with me, the tears of mourning now mix with tears of joy for the treasure that is my dear sweet Cole.



No comments: