1.03.2004

some more firsts

Yesterday, Cole discovered himself in the mirror for the first time. He was entranced by the baby in the mirror and it was so much fun to watch him admire himself.

Today, Cole destroyed his first outfit. We've had some leaks before, but this time his clothes were unsalvageable. I was about to take a shower when I heard Tony call for me. When I saw Cole at the changing table, I realized it would be easier to bathe him than to use up a box of baby wipes. So he got his bath before my shower, but it all worked out. The giraffe footie pajamas were the only casualty.

Cole also took a bottle for the first time today. I have been diligently using the breast pump to store up a supply for him in the freezer, but up until now he's refused to take a bottle. Today I had to make a trip to Springfield to buy a bridesmaid dress and with traffic I couldn't be sure that I could make it back in time for his next feeding. I set up a bottle for Tony to give him and brought my cell phone in case Tony needed me to come home right away. Cole devoured his bottle and was still hungry for more by the time I got home. I set up a second bottle, but he refused to take it until I left the room for about 20 minutes. It seems he'll only accept a bottle if I'm nowhere to be found, but that's okay since that's really the only time he'll absolutely have to take a bottle. I'm surprised how much I enjoy feeding him. Once we both learned our parts, it became a nice quiet time to spend together...but the bottle will give me back just a little bit of freedom and that's a good thing too.

No comments: