8.16.2003

My second finished knitting project

Tonight I finished my second knitting project ever--a baby blanket for my "belly buddy" Elaine. I've been working on it since June, and it's accompanied me on many a roadtrip. Elaine had the good fortune to inherit a whole room of nursery furniture from her brother, and I was certain that there would no shortage of gifts at her baby showers. Her wedding had over 250 in attendance! I really wanted to give her something special.

The yarn I used was Sirdar Snuggly Domino in Mint which I found at the knitting shop where I had taken my lessons. It's super soft and was pretty easy to work with though you have to be careful that you keep the strand together. I followed a free pattern I found on line with a few adjustments for gauge. The pattern was subtle because of the texture of the yarn.

Yes, I know the status on the bean blanket hasn't changed in a long time, but Elaine's due date is a month before mine, so her blanket was a priority...especially since she learned last week that she's already begun to dilate. I've had to hustle!

Also, the sad truth is that the current bean blanket may never be completed. I cast on way too many stitches and the gauge is really tight. BUT, I haven't given up completely. Keeping in mind the lessons of the first bean blanket and the blanket I made for Elaine, I've started a whole new bean blanket...one that is much more reasonable. I'm confident I can finish this one, and so far I'm really happy with how it's coming together. Photos will follow soon.

No comments: