8.04.2003

Hospital tour



Keeping with my tradition of out of date posts, here's one about the hospital tour we took on July 12, 2003.

My doctor recommended I take a tour of the maternity ward at the hospital sometime during my second trimester. I wasn't sure why it was important to do it then, until afterwards. It was a whole hour on my feet, but I was a trooper. We'll see if I'm as strong when I'm actually admitted.

There were five couples on the tour including us. Our guide was a very nice woman who works as a liaison between maternity patients and their insurance companies. She must have a tough side to her to do that job, but she was as sweet and gentle as a kindergarten teacher to us. One insight she shared with us was that while your insurance company may try to tell you that your approved 48 hour stay begins the minute you set foot into the hospital, the reality is the clock doesn't start ticking until you deliver. You are guaranteed by law a 48 hour stay after delivery if you choose. You may leave earlier with your doctor's approval, but they can't just boot you out.

The tour began with an explanation of registration procedures and a necessary clarification of where to park and what entrance to use. The hospital is undergoing a major renovation, and the parking lot is a total wreck. Luckily, the parking garage and the entrance area will be completed this month. I had already begun to worry about the possibility of waiting for a shuttle bus from a remote lot while in active labor.

Next we saw the maternity floor which is also part of the renovation, but the expansion won't be ready until sometime next year, and I don't think I can wait that long. The floor is really nice as is though, and we spent most of the tour in one of the labor and delivery suites. I was the least pregnant (or so it appeared) of the ladies on tour, so I opted to stand while the others sat. One poor lady sat on a stool in front of her husband, who when he rested his foot on its base, released the hydraulic and she dropped a few inches in a split second. We all laughed, but I'm sure it won't be as funny if its repeated during her next trip to the hospital.

Reston Hospital has all private rooms for labor and delivery and you also have a 1:1 ratio of patients to RNs. 90 minutes after your delivery, you're moved to a semi-private room that you share with another new mom. Tony and I were really impressed and surprised after seeing sitcom births where you're in shared room until you're ready to really get to business.

One of the other expectant fathers was not as impressed, and for the rest of the tour he made it known that he will be paying extra to insure his wife has a completely private room during her entire stay. He also plans to bring their own food and both of their immediate families....at that point, why not plan a home birth?

All in all, it was an informative hour, and it gave us the illusion of feeling a bit better prepared for October. At least we know where to park and what door to use.

No comments: