8.13.2003

reflux update

When the acid reflux first began back in March, I flipped to the index of my "pregnancy bible" for some information. The index led me to the chapters for the seventh month, and I realized I was in trouble. Reflux and heartburn are common pregnancy problems, but usually not until the third trimester.

I did get a mini break during the second trimester, but now that I'm in the home stretch, the reflux has really taken over. What used to be a night time nuisance, is now nearly a constant discomfort. I've given up on rationing my Tums and I only restrict my diet when it's really painful. There aren't any triggers for it, like tomatos or citrus, anymore. It's just always there. The other day I ate cereal and a banana for breakfast, PBJ for lunch, and still had reflux. What's a girl to do?

I sleep propped up on the couch a lot for a few hours at a time, and I drink a lot of fluids (maybe I can dilute the acid!). I rest when I can during the day, because it's still at its worst at night.

I spoke with Tony's grandma the other night, and she shared that she suffered with reflux throughout her 13(!) pregnancies. In fact, during one pregnancy, she had it the entire time. She said she didn't feel relief until immediately after the baby was delivered. She said she felt like a new person. Imagine that! After the pains of labor, delivery, and the joy of her new baby, what she felt more than anything was relief from the reflux.

No comments: