9.09.2003

car seat installation

Car seats are tricky business. Not only did the car seat come with it's own hefty manual, I also had to read through several pages of documentation in each of our car's owner manuals, before I could even attempt to install it. Then, I had to register the car seat and the additional car seat base online and check to be sure it hadn't been recalled. The list of recalled car seats is enough to cause panic, but thankfully my model numbers were not among them.

I had considered installing the car seat bases sooner, but thought I was probably getting ahead of myself. Now I wish I had. It would've been a lot easier to install back in the days when I was small enough to fit comfortably in the back seat of our compact cars. I did manage to install the seat in the back of our 97 Saturn using the center seat belt, but I'm not confident that it's as secure as it should be. The good news is that there are free car seat inspections at Babies R Us Friday afternoon, so I can get an expert opinion.

Tonight, Tony and I tackled installing the second base into the 03 Civic which has the fancy new LATCH system. LATCH is supposed to make installation near fool-proof, but the basic principle, and therefore, the problem remains the same. Whether you use a seat belt or LATCH, you've got to pull the belt super-tight in order to secure the seat, and you still have to read a ton of documentation.

We'll have both seats inspected on Friday, and I'm curious to see how we've done.

No comments: